Monday, June 29, 2015

snarky = I love you!

If you know me in person, you'd know that I generally try to be nice (or at least quietly civil) to most people. Growing up, the parentals have done really well in instilling that "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything" mentality in me and my siblings.

Plus I have some serious trust issues and tend to keep my thoughts and feelings to myself save for a very select group of closed ones, just because for some reason, I just think that it's too easy to be misunderstood, and also really, I just don't have much desire to broadcast or share my deepest darkest secrets to as big an audience as possible. I really don't need nor want the whole world to understand me, much prefer being mysterious than an open book. :p

So how do my dearest ones know that they are in my circle of trust? Why, when I start giving them the most smart-mouthed, speech-robbing responses to their comments of course.

Here are some gems, in case you are wondering what on earth I'm talking about..

When marvelling at my near constant appearance in my stilettos and platform heels (from 4 inches and upwards):
Friend: "How on earth do you walk in these?!"
Me: "By putting one foot in front of the other."
Friend: "...."

When I randomly made some bimbo analysis that somehow made sense:
Friend: "Why you so smart?"
Me: "Born this way."
Friend: "...."

When the girlfriend was reviewing some photos we took and trying to pay me a compliment:
Friend: "WAH. Check out your curves! Can you be less hour-glass??"
Me: "Thanks! And nope, I can't help it."
Friend: "...."

Ahem. To be honest I really think it's just that I really don't take compliments well. Not that I don't like to hear nice things or remarks, but I'm just so awkward in accepting them and I have a compulsion to answer questions when they are posed to me, so I take them too literally and offer a response even when they are (I guess) rhetorical. Haha, socially-awkward much? Well, I could work on just saying a simple "Thank you!" with a smile, but what's the fun in that, right??

So, bottom-line is: When I start getting snarky with you, take it as a sign that I love you - congratulations! You will now have access to my most candid thoughts and remarks. Good luck and I hope you like honesty. ^.^


No comments: